Friday, 8 August 2014

Adventures with Applewood - More Glorious Cheesy Recipes!

On Monday I posted up the first three recipes I created using the selection of cheeses that Applewood very kindly sent me. Today I'm going to share the final three - so feast your eyes and get ready to feel a little bit peckish!

Chicken, Chilli Jam and Applewood Taquitos:


I'd never made taquitos before but these involved spreading a mini tortilla with chilli jam and Applewood Speadable, adding some cooked shredded chicken and sprinkling with grated cheese. After that I rolled them up, popped them into a baking dish (with the seam facing down) and baked them for about 15 mins. I'd cooked my chicken just before assembly so it was already hot but you may need to adjust the cooking time if you're using pre-cooked chicken.

The result was a spicy, smoky chicken parcel that absolutely hit the spot - the combination of chilli and Applewood was a match made in heaven!

Cheesy Stuffed Bread:


This one's a bit of a centre piece! Take a round loaf of bread (sour dough would be great) and slice it into a dross hatch  pattern - don't slice all the way through as you want to keep it in tact.

Chop up a bit of an Applewood Wedge and stuff a chunk into each cut you've made into the bread. Make sure it's fully pushed down as you want it to stay in the loaf, not melt all over the outside.

Next, melt butter, garlic salt and sage together and drizzle all over the bread and into the slits. This will give the bread a lovely flavour but do use whatever flavours you prefer - rosemary would be amazing, I reckon!

After this you just need to bake the bread in the oven for about 25 minutes (or until the cheese has melted) and you can enjoy a crusty, herby, cheesy loaf that pulls apart so is perfect for sharing.

Applewood Pizza Rolls:

(Apologies for the weird lighting - my camera was throwing a hissy fit so I snapped a couple on my iPhone!)

Out of all six recipes I cooked this is the one that was the most popular. So popular, in fact, that my boyfriend requested it for dinner the next night - that's when I know it's s hit!

This is so easy to make but so tasty and comforting - perfect for a naughty treat!

Either make your own or take pre-made short crust pastry and roll it out into a rectangle (about .5cm thick if you're doing it from scratch). Layer Applewood Slices all over the pastry and then add chorizo and pepperoni on top. After this you just need to roll it up like a Swiss Roll, slice up (one Jus-Roll short crust sheet cut into 8) and stand up on your baking tray. Brush the tops with beaten egg, cook for about 15 minutes (adjust slightly either way if you like your pastry more or less done. I like mine a little underdone in the middle!) and then enjoy your cheesy, meaty, gooey pizza roll.

*

So that's the last of my Applewood posts! I absolutely loved creating these recipes and they're all so simply to make but completely delicious - who doesn't love smoked cheese? I hope you enjoyed having a read about my kitchen concoctions; do let me know in the comments which recipe you like the look of the most!

Thank you again to the lovely people at Applewood for sending me the range to try out. You can find out more about Applewood on their website or on their Twitter feed.

3 comments:

  1. Love the look of the bread and the pizza rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're quite the little domestic goddess! Would love to give those taquitos a try. Yum!

    Emily x - prettypleaseblog.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of taquitos before but now I want to try one - they sound delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete