Wednesday, 28 May 2014

My Fitness Journey (Part One)


Two weeks ago today I was just getting ready to go out for a cream tea with my boyfriend when I sat on the sofa, burst into tears and told him I wanted to change the way I looked. I said I wasn’t happy being unfit, unhealthy and feeling like I was looking at the wrong body every time I looked in the mirror. He gave me a hug, listened to me vent and then we formed a plan.

It’s two weeks since I decided to change the way I live my life and I wanted to weigh in (ha, punny) with my progress, and how I’ve found my first fortnight.

In short, it’s already changed my life. I have double the energy I had before, I never find myself needing to take a nap because I’m so tired by 3.30pm, my skin is crystal clear, my hair is shiny, my nails are strong and I can already feel my body changing inside and out.

Before I started I always used to eat until I was stuffed; I think over the years I’d taught myself that stuffed meant satisfied and I never felt content unless I’d eaten so much I could barely move from the sofa for an hour. Now I’m learning to stop when I’m satisfied and get control of my portions - which has probably been the toughest thing to get my head around! I’ve been eating giant portions for years now, so when I see a normal portion on a plate my brain is all ‘wtf? Srsly bro?’ But I’m sticking to it and I’m already finding myself in shock when I think back to what I used to be able to eat.

Me and my boyfriend have fajita night every Friday. I have always, always eaten four fajitas without a second thought. Yeah I felt lethargic and sick afterwards but the fajita kit gives you eight fajitas and there are two of us so…I guess it made sense for me to eat half. Now I’m only eating three and even that felt too much yesterday so next week it’ll be two. In three weeks I’ll have halved the portion I need. I’m pretty impressed with myself.

I’ve worked my butt off and I’ve stuck to eating healthily religiously. I haven’t cheated once, I haven’t over-eaten at a single meal as I decided to be completely strict for the first two weeks, to give myself a bit of a detox. Now I’m learning to listen to my body and figure out what it needs, rather than what my brain wants, I know I’m on the right track.

And exercise has been a huge part of it! Since I stopped going to the gym when I first started university I’ve shied away from all forms of exercise, aside from the odd foray into yoga. I joined a gym a couple of years ago, went half-heartedly for a few months and then quit. Now, though? Things are very different.

My boyfriend converted our garage into a gym a few months ago and it’s packed full with gym-grade equipment. A dumbbell rack, a power cage and every snazzy attachment you can think of. I was too intimidated to use it before but my boyfriend spent a week running through everything with me and writing me programmes for different days and now I can’t get enough of it. I’m supposed to do three strength training sessions a week but I did four this week and I’m already thinking about squeezing another one in this weekend.

I weighed myself today, two weeks after I started, and I’m down 4lbs. Yeah part of me obviously wants to step on the scales and see myself down four stone instead (ha!) but crash dieting is not what I’m trying to do and I’m so pleased with my progress. I measured myself as well and I’ve lost four inches in the last two weeks. FOUR INCHES. I’m so proud of myself and already seeing results in such a huge motivation for me.

This is just the beginning of my fitness journey and I wanted to share every step of it with you - my crappy days, my milestone achievements, tips I learn along the way. So, I’ll be back with another update in two weeks, which will mark one month since I started!

Until then, happy lifting everyone!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, Carly! I'm super impressed!
    Since we talked on Twitter about fitness, changing yourself and motivation I started forming a plan in my head and your posts is the final kick in the butt to start changing my life health- and fitness-wise too. Thank you for sharing and if you ever need someone to send you some motivation, just tweet me. I am a good virtual motivator and butt-kicker :)

    ReplyDelete