Friday, 10 January 2014

Creamy Chicken Pie Recipe


As I've mentioned before, I love a good pie! This is one of my favourite recipes and I've spent the past couple of months perfecting it - and I think this is the best version. My boyfriend asked me to try and recreate a chicken pie he had during his childhood and, finally, I've nailed it.


For two large pies:

  • Diced chicken breast (500g)
  • Sweetcorn (100g)
  • Double cream (150ml)
  • Chicken stock
  • Shortcrust pastry (buy ready made or make your own, whichever! Personally, I’m hideously lazy so am using pre-made for this recipe)
  • 1 egg (to glaze the pastry)
  • Butter (to grease the pie dishes)
  • Cornflour (to thicken the sauce, if required

Cooking Steps:

1. Cut the chicken pieces to desired size - I like to leave mine quite chunky

2. Melt butter in a pan and add your favourite herbs - rosemary and thyme are my picks


3. Once the butter is melted add the chicken and cook slowly on a low heat for more tender meat




4. While the chicken is cooking thoroughly grease the pie dishes and lines the dishes with pastry


5. Add your chicken stock and sweetcorn to the pan and stir thoroughly. I’ve tried a few different stocks and I’d recommend going for something lower in salt as some I’ve tried are way too salty and be a bit overpowering. Fresh stocks are my favourite (Tesco Finest is the best I’ve tried) but can be a bit pricey




6. After the chicken has been simmering in stock for a few minutes add the double cream. I tend to just chuck the whole lot in to make the pie super creamy but it’s totally up to you, depending on how creamy you like it




7. If your sauce isn’t quite as thick as you’d like you can add some cornflour at this stage but add a little at a time as it does suddenly thicken up


8. Once the chicken is cooked through you’re ready to make your pie! Pour the mixture into the pie dish and top with a pastry lid - seal it carefully and make a small slit in the lid. If it’s your bag then go nuts and do some fancy crimping around the side!




9. Top the pie with an egg glaze and then pop in the oven for about 25 minutes on 180, or until your pie is thoroughly cooked - times will need to be adjusted depending on the size of the pie




10. NOM THE PIE - but any leftovers are great the next day for lunch!






1 comment:

  1. That looks AMAZING! I want to come over for dinner... I'll bring beer.

    Charlotte - www.blotandreapply.com xx

    ReplyDelete